Dec 7, 2009

It feels like home here..

12/5/09 Today was one of the most beautiful days of my life. I saw the boys again for the first time in a year and half. I’m not sure I’ll ever have words to describe all the scenes that replay in my head of today but I hope they will never leave. A grin slid across my face as soon as I knew we were in the neighborhood. We knocked on the door of HFL and Pacifique came running. He opened the gate and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a huge smile permanently stuck on someone’s face. He rushed to me and put his arms around me, looking up at me every few seconds with an even bigger smile on his face and with light twinkling in his eyes. I’ll never forget that smile of pure joy. All of the 16 boys and the staff were sitting outside when I arrived and we hugged for a few minutes all smiling at each other, not really believing that we were together again. We went inside and they all introduced themselves to me (as they have changed in appearance and I have not met 7 of the newest members of HFL). As we sat there in a circle they would glance awkwardly at me with grins on their faces and all but a few turned shyly away when I returned their smiling gaze. They sang 2 beautiful songs for me (led by Emmanuel, the “leader” who has emerged from the boys), and we went around the circle each giving a small talk to the group of what we were grateful for. It was absolutely precious and I would have sobbed would the smile have left my face for a mere 10 seconds. Each stood and gave a heartfelt thanks to God for all He’s done to rescue them and to thank me for coming to see them. I learned more about their backgrounds as they spoke including that they’d all been addicted to drugs (even small 6 year old Nsabiri), they were hooked on sniffing glue and drinking daily, most had been sexually active, they were stealing regularly and had been in jail. I can’t imagine these things at their young age. They spoke with utter sincerity and most had a long list of all they were grateful for. Their list of thanks would have humbled anyone – a place to sleep for the first time in their life, for new mommies (Josiane, Chantal, Hilliary and Megan), to own a pair of shoes, to have a change of clothes, the chance to go to school... Eve said that God has given him his life back and He thanks Him for each breath He has. David spoke about how he will always remember what everyone in America has done for Him and that when He’s an adult, he will do the same thing and give other kids what has being given to him. Wow. These kids will be the leaders of Rwanda’s next generation going forth to rebuild and restore their communities. They are doing it already with the local street kids in their neighborhood. We sang again and they went to play outside while I talked with the staff. It was such a good time to catch up with them and hear from their own mouths how everything is going there and how amazed they each are at what has happened in each of these kids. It seems like a dream to me even still. The transformation in the children is absolutely remarkable! We sat outside for the rest of the evening and they soon became more relaxed around me as they slowly drew closer and closer until all 16 were huddled around me. I wish I had more adequate words to describe how beautiful it was and the immensely joy that swept through me. When I left, they all began praying, heads bowed, their little hands over their eyes and their small voices all ringing out their praises and requests. There is nowhere else in the entire world I could have wanted to be in that moment. I came home and couldn’t sleep nearly half the night because I was so happy. Apparently Berco said that he hadn’t slept the night I arrived as he stayed up listening for the plane that would bring me to them.

I can’t stop thinking, my friends, that this is the Kingdom of our God. Is not the Kingdom giving to and equipping the poor, becoming friends with them, making their reality our own, restoring hope to people as they receive a second chance at life here on earth and for eternity? I feel as if I’d give up every possession I own to be able to give more to these kids or give this opportunity to more children. It was a really wonderful reminder today hearing them talk about their gratitude that this work is not just about providing for tangible needs, but it’s about them knowing Jesus. The most prized thing that each child spoke of wasn’t their shoes, or food, or even the chance to go to school again – it was Jesus and that He’d looked past all that they’d ever done and that He still loved them. I wish each and every one of you could see them. They shine and exude hope, joy, peace, thankfulness, and love – in essence, Jesus.
I’ll try and update again soon. Until then, please be praying specifically for guidance as to what my work is going to be here. We are creating programs and goals for my trip on Monday. Love and greetings from me, the boys, and from the staff and their families.
“Is this not the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter-when you see the naked to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?” Isaiah 58: 6-7

12/7/09 Since being here, I have been praying to find Veterine, the crippled friend Hilliary and I made last time we were here. Yesterday morning, Josiane and I were on the bus coming home from church when I suddenly felt prompted to turn around and look out the window. Suddenly, a wheelchair flashed through the crowd and bus and I felt that I had to immediately get off the bus. As the chair turned, I caught my breathe and ran as I saw that it was Veterine! His eyes lit up when he recognized it was me and an enormous delighted smile came to him. I stood there paralyzed for a second a few feet away from him, jumped up and down with glee and then rushed towards my friend. We hugged for a long time as he sat in his dirty wheelchair. All these past few days I have been praying to see him again, and we have looked for him twice but were unable to find him. Wow! We drove to his house to talk with his family about him coming to HFL and the whole ride, I kept looking him, not believing my eyes. I couldn’t have hid my smile for a million dollars. We had a long discussion with Veterine’s mom and she wouldn’t release him to us unless we would pay for his sister’s school fees as the money he gets from begging every day of his life is used to pay for his sister’s school. It felt like we were rescuing a child from bonded labor or slavery. Yesterday morning I had no idea where he was and by last night, he was asleep safe and happy in Hope For Life. We also took in his 10 year old brother, Daniel, and his best friend John. This brings our total to 19 boys! Wow. We are trusting God for more finances as in addition to needing to pay for these 3 new boys, we are also responsible now for paying their sister’s school fees. (If you want to help, every dollar goes so far here. Please consider giving at www.hopeforlifeministry.org) We are hoping he never spends another day sitting in the dirt begging. He has been so happy since being at HFL! Today, the boys at HFL were literally yelling at each other, fighting over who was going to care for Veterine. It was a beautiful fight :) Their transformation is absolutely remarkable. I think it’s the more amazing thing I have ever seen and I am so deeply encouraged. I wish that everyone who has been a part of HFL could see it!
We had a staff meeting today and our need for increased finances is very present. Please join us in expecting God to meet our many needs here.

Hope you are encouraged by these stories. Love from Rwanda,
Megan

6 comments:

Hope For Life said...

AHHH, I would be bawling for joy if I wasn't in the library. I wish I coudl be there and share all of this with you. I am so happy.

Anonymous said...

Oh Megan! We will be praying for your staff, the boys and especially that God will provide all the finances you need! We have an amazing God that loves to work out all the details when we can't imagine how. Keep writing!
Love, Patti

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful account of Veterine and his family. I was worried that you might feel lonely. You are just part of the family. Hilliary called and said, "mom, you have to read Megan's blog." She wants to be there, too. The way you write about it, we all want to be there.
Love and continued prayers, Julianne

Unknown said...

Megan! You are amazing. I just want to stop by and let you know that we are all with you in spirit. God is truly great! Talk to you soon.

Love, Yao

Anonymous said...

So extremely beautiful. prayers. luv you/miss you lots :D skype
marissa.

Pastor Rick said...

good job! Proud of you, though I have no right. . .

Rick R