Nov 18, 2010

One year in Rwanda..

This time last year, I was getting ready to move to Rwanda. It’s incredibly hard to believe that a year has already gone by. I feel like such an older person than one year ago and it’s crazy to think of how my life has changed its course. I thought that by now, I’d be in my first year of grad school. Instead, I ride a scooter through villages to work everyday, I wash my laundry by hand, my stomach is full of rice and potatoes, I play football and organize activities with children whom I love and get paid for it, and I’m learning tons about business and management.

boys will be boys
While I was in the States this past summer, I was incredibly anxious to return to Rwanda. My previous experience had been so full of conflict and heartache that I didn’t know how much longer I could persevere living in Kigali. However, things have changed 180 degrees. HFLM is filled with peace, growth, blooming organization, and healthy relationships. Sometimes, when I go there, I find myself lost for what to do. Our new staff team is remarkable and we are so grateful for their constant hard work. Most days, I find myself enjoying living my life here, and am rather fascinated and in disbelief that this is actually my life that I’m living. I think I should write a book one day about it all  Since being back over the last month, I have contracted typhoid, and a major flu. Fun times. I’m feeling much better, however, and the sickness was actually a nice time to force myself to rest. I’ve now experienced typhoid, malaria, parasites, and tungiasis in Africa. What’s next?

About a month ago, Morris and I were driving through town on my scootie and an object in the road slowly started entering our vision. What we thought was a dead dog, turned out to be a human whose broken and twisted body was covered in blood and glass. As we hurried off the scooter and towards the man, cars mounted the large sidewalk and drove into the bushes to drive around the scene and avoid stopping. We counted at least 10 cars before us who drove clear off the road instead of stopping. Our hearts were broken at the depravity and lack of care we had just observed between fellow humans, but there wasn’t time for that as we had to try and get the man to the hospital. After checking he was breathing and flipping him on his side to avoid choking on the blood gushing from his mouth, the search began for a car that would be willing to take us to the hospital. We asked at least 6 cars who all either said no, rolled up their windows, and shoo’ed us away before we found a willing bypasser. We rushed to the emergency room which was filled with other thin, frail, and broken bodies and awaited the news.

After this incident, I found myself deeply disturbed and saddened by the lesson the world had taught me. I feel as if I have been schooled in the reality of the world and the reality of my own depravity away from the SPU bubble this past year. The man survived the accident and now has metal poles running through his fractured legs. What’s worse, however, is that the hospital kicked him out of their ward and is making him sleep in the grass outside because he can’t afford to pay for any of his $550 bill. Nor can the hospital afford to feed him or give him medicine. I can’t imagine the throngs and throngs of people who are denied simple medical care each day in Rwanda because they lack the $10 to pay basic doctor fees. The ramifications are astonishing and cannot be hidden – the malnourished bellies of children, scabby ridden skin, a 15 year old boy dying of malaria and diarrhea before my eyes, a 13 year old girl collapsed on the sidewalk because she hadn’t eaten in 4 days.. it seems that there is truly no option for the poor. In speaking with locals about this, its been explained that its simply the reality of life in Africa – people die... frequently. I refuse to accept this answer.

I don’t tell you this story to shout, “Hey, look at me” in any way. Rather, I wish to illuminate the reality of the worlds inequality and the disparity between access to money and opportunity to care for your family. I’ve randomly come across 3 dying people in the road in the past 5 months around Kigali. The average life expectancy in Rwanda is 38. In 2004, there was 1 doctor per 30,000 people in the South-Eastern region of the country, and no hospital existed. Even if a hospital did exist, who in the village could afford the $10 to bring their baby to the doctor when the $2 they earned that day must house and feed their other 2 children?

In other news, I am reading about Paul Farm who founded the global public health organization, Partners in Health. I find myself fascinated, drawn in, and interested in potentially studying public health along with social work. It is truly inspiring what can happen when people stop to really care about each other. From its humble beginnings in a small community in Haiti, Partners in Health has now expanded its programs bringing quality healthcare to the poor around the world, including to Rwanda. It’s the only hospital in Rwanda that will treat a patient, no questions asked, even if they can’t pay. Amazing.


Lastly, Caroline, Pippa and I have moved houses! We now live in a quiet, cozy house that feels much more like our “home” than our previous residence. We are enjoying our beautiful garden, more peace and quiet, and having a living room again.

Pips & Meg being goofs as usual

For more news on what’s been happening with Hope For Life Ministry, check out: www.hopeforlifeministry.blogspot.com

Thanks friends!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan,

How about introducing Pippa and Caroline to us... I don't remember you telling us who your house mates are :)

Sarah Park

Bekah said...

so nice megan to hear from you.
i am home right now. i saw your dad last week, was really nice to reconnect with him and hear about megan through dad's eyes.
bless you megan. so proud of you.

bek

dave bianchini said...

Megan,

This is your old PE teacher from Alderwood...one of our church friends is going to Africa to serve so I began searching the internet and found your site. The work you are doing is amazing. The people of Rwanda are blessed to have you and your organization spreading the word. I am proud of the work you are doing!

Dave Bianchini