Jul 12, 2008

update... check my facebook for pictures or hilliary's blog!

I have had SO much joy here in Rwanda with my new brothers and sisters in Christ! This morning, I had a pretty long talk with Pastor and Auntie in the prayer room at their house and it was a beautiful time of encouragement for both of us. I felt like I was given some very specific words for Pastor and upon telling them to her, she and Auntie teared up several times. She then proceeded to tell me that the first couple days that we came here, she was praying frequently with a sense from God that He would speak words to me to tell to people here. It’s a wonderful gift that’s being ushered into my spiritual life and I feel a bit like I’m on the verge of something very fresh and new. Apparently Pastor tells Auntie regularly how much she likes us and that if I stayed here with her, she’d train me to become a Pastor. Auntie, also, keeps telling me that she thinks I’m going to be a Pastor.. haha, who knows!

I feel so honored to be able to learn from Pastor Bea and from the people of the church here. Pastor Bea is an immensely generous woman, taking care of all who come to her, even if she doesn’t have the means to do so. As a church, the congregation is walking in obedience to be the hands and feet of Christ and take care of their community and the poor among them even though they don’t have much themselves. I am continually humbled by their reverence for God and for their obvious love for Him and for each other. I hope I can learn as much as I can from them and that I too, will continue to grow to be a woman who uses what I’ve been given to care for others. I’ve been stuck on these verses the past couple days…

“For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich…you will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.” 2 Corinthians 8-9

Pastor’s children are also on a 2 week holiday from school and so they are all home now. There’s Lillian (17), Pauleen (16), and Patrick (14). They seem a bit apprehensive of us now but I’m hoping that over the next few weeks, we’ll become good friends. 

Prayer requests:

-Patmos is searching for a church of their own as they currently rent out a tiny room three times a week to use. The whole church fasted and prayed all last week and we are continuing to wait on God to provide. It’s especially difficult because most of the members of the congregation are pretty poor and don’t have much to give. Pray that God would provide and continue to grow Patmos spiritually and financially.

-we’re going back to the psychiatric ward on Monday to talk with the director about volunteering there once a week in the children’s ward. Apparently, it’s the ONLY psychiatric center in the whole entire country of Rwanda! It’s astonishing that this is true, especially with all the trauma that’s happened here. It’s also astonishing that we ended up at the only place in the whole country, given my desire and interest in the psychological state of Rwanda!

4 comments:

Pastor Steve said...

Since I don't have a picture to post you will just have to imagine this: [my face with a big smile]

Anonymous said...

megan,
i miss you soooo much!
i'm glad that God is showing you so many new things and opening up the world to you.
i can't wait for you to come home but i'm so glad that you had this opportunity:]
i love you and have been praying for you.

love, jordan trimble

Anonymous said...

Aloha Megan, Hilliary & also greetings to Auntie & Pastor Bea,

We will be praying for you at tonight's missions meeting at NCC. Good work & good blogging.

Bill/ACTION

Unknown said...

oh hi! I'm sitting here with ice on my face.. but I must say I look much better than you did when you had your wisdom teeth extracted! :))))

wuuuuv you,
samantha swasnon!!!!